Contact Us – 973-993-8787

Experienced Attorney. Personal Attention. Proven Results.

Recovering Medical Expenses When You Have Been Hurt in a Car Accident

Recovering Medical Expenses When You Have Been Hurt in a Car AccidentAfter a car crash, one of the first things you’ll typically do is look to get reimbursement and/or payment for any medical expenses. How that happens in New Jersey depends on the type of motor vehicle accident insurance you bought.

Like every other state, New Jersey has a no-fault system to recover for certain motor vehicle accident losses. With a no-fault policy, you turn to your own insurer (not the at-fault party’s insurance provider) to seek reimbursement of your losses. Your insurance company will pay you pursuant to policy limits, and may also seek reimbursement from the at-fault party’s insurer through a legal process known as subrogation. You can expect, though, that your insurance provider will pay most or all of the losses you have suffered.

There’s a wrinkle, though, in the New Jersey insurance laws. You can choose no-fault insurance or you can opt for a traditional policy. When you purchase a traditional policy, you retain the right to sue the other party directly, although that can be a lengthy and costly process.

There’s also a clause in the New Jersey insurance statute that allows you to file a lawsuit directly against the at-fault party and/or his/her own insurer. You must, however, show that you have sustained serious injury, defined to include dismemberment, displaced fractures, significant scarring or disfigurement, or the loss of a fetus.

Contact Attorney Howard D. Popper

To learn your options when you have lost a loved one in an accident, contact our office online or call attorney Popper at 973-993-8787. We have offices in Morristown and Newton, but will come to your home or the hospital, if necessary. There is no charge for your first consultation.

We handle all personal injury claims on a contingency basis. You won’t be charged any legal fees unless attorney Popper recovers compensation for your losses.