Contact Us – 973-993-8787

Experienced Attorney. Personal Attention. Proven Results.

What is PIP and How Does It Work in New Jersey?

Work-in-New-JerseyIn the aftermath of a motor vehicle accident, one of the first things you’ll typically do is get information about the at-fault party’s insurance provider. That’s not so that you can file a claim directly with their insurer—that’s not how it works in New Jersey. Because New Jersey is a “no-fault” state for the purposes of automobile insurance, you’ll typically file any insurance claims with your own carrier, and your insurance company will seek reimbursement through a legal action known as subrogation.

When you purchase motor vehicle insurance in New Jersey, there’s a requirement that your policy include a provision that addresses “personal injury protection,” also known as “PIP.” PIP is designed to compensate you for any injuries you suffer in a motor vehicle accident, regardless of who is at fault.

There is some flexibility in the amount of coverage you can obtain through PIP coverage. As a general rule, the coverage is $250,000, but you can purchase as little as $15,000. Your PIP provision covers a wide range of medical losses, including:

  • Medical treatment, including the costs of surgical procedures
  • Facility costs, whether at a hospital, urgent care or doctor’s office
  • Diagnostic procedures
  • Rehabilitation and physical therapy
  • The costs of an ambulance

You can also collect payment for lost wages through a New Jersey PIP claim, although the amount you receive cannot exceed your normal income. You can also have the costs of necessary services covered, such as housecleaning, laundry, yard work and snow removal.

Contact Our Office

For a free initial consultation, contact our office online or call us at 973-993-8787. We have office locations in Morristown and Newton, but will visit you in your home or the hospital, if necessary.

We take all personal injury claims on a contingency basis. You will not incur legal fees unless attorney Popper recovers compensation for your losses.