What Can You Be Compensated for after an Accident?
In New Jersey, when you have been hurt in any type of accident caused by the wrongful act of another person, you have the right to file a lawsuit seeking damages for all your losses. What does that cover? What types of injury or loss can you expect compensation for as part of a jury award?
The Different Types of Losses that Can Be Recovered in a New Jersey Personal Injury Action
When you file a complaint in civil court based on personal injury, there are six different types of losses for which you can potentially be reimbursed or receive compensation:
- Lost wages or income—If your injury limits your ability to work, or prevents you from working, either temporarily or permanently, you have a right to recover any income lost as a result. If your injuries prevent you from working in the future, you can typically recover compensation for wages you would have earned until a reasonable period of retirement.
- Unreimbursed medical expenses—If you require medical care that is not covered by insurance, you can ask a jury to award you compensation to cover any costs associated with that treatment
- Physical pain and suffering—As the term suggests, this is compensation for temporary or chronic pain or discomfort caused by the accident
- Loss of companionship or consortium—Loss of consortium is typically defined as the loss of affection, aid, society and intimacy with a spouse. Loss of companionship is broader, encompassing the loss of love, affection, care, comfort and protection that would otherwise have been received.
- Loss of enjoyment of life—As a general rule, loss of enjoyment of life refers to an injured person’s inability to derive satisfaction, enjoyment or comfort because they can no longer engage in things they were able to before the accident
- Property damage—You have a right to recover for the loss of property, or the loss of value in property, caused by an accident
Contact the Law Office of Howard D. Popper
At the Law Offices of Howard D. Popper, we can help protect your rights. For a free initial consultation to discuss your options after a work-related injury, contact our office online or call 973-993-8787 to set up an appointment. We have offices in Morristown and Newton.
We handle ALL injury cases on a contingent fee basis. You won’t pay any attorney fees unless we recover damages for your losses.